Birth Injury Lawyers
A birth injury is the last thing that should concern a parent when having a child. Unfortunately, every year there are thousands of birth injuries in hospitals throughout the United States. If your child is injured during birth, you may need the services of our Florida birth injury lawyers.
Birth injury victims may require a lifetime of expensive medical care, and can be extremely taxing on the whole family. Birth injuries that occur during childbirth can have serious mental and physical consequences. Some of the most common birth injuries are:
- Cerebral Palsy – Cerebral palsy is a birth injury that affects many babies every year. This birth injury is caused by a lack of oxygen to the brain. Cerebral palsy causes many different problems, including poor motor skills, breathing difficulties, seizures, poor sense perception, and poor bowel or bladder control. Cerebral palsy is a permanent disability. Read More
- Erb’s Palsy – Erb’s Palsy is a birth injury that is caused by damaging the brachial plexus nerve near the shoulder. The brachial plexus nerve controls arm movement and sensation. Serious forms of Erb’s palsy can be permanent. Erb’s palsy can cause things like upper body paralysis, lack of arm movement, limpness, and lack of muscle control. Read More
- Hypoxia – Hypoxia is the medical term for a lack of oxygen reaching the brain. As a birth injury, leaving the head in the birth canal too long, or improper use of vacuum devices, can cause hypoxia. Like cerebral palsy, hypoxia can have permanent affects on the victim’s life. Hypoxia can cause serious medical problems, including death, coma, seizures, breathing problems, and brain damage.
- Kernicterus - Kernicterus is a type of brain damage that can affect newborn babies who have jaundice.
Birth injuries can be caused by obstetrical malpractice including failure or delay in responding to fetal distress, failure to properly read fetal monitoring data, the administration of too much Pitocin, as well as improper use of vacuum extraction devices or forceps.
Birth injury claims can be complex and difficult. While some birth injuries are apparent soon after the child in born, other birth injuries may be detected months or years after the childbirth.
Symptoms of birth injuries
Some of the symptoms parents can identify a potential birth injury include:
- Poor coordination
- Lack of depth perception
- Poor balance
- Delayed motor development
- Muscle spasms
A birth injury can result in a lifetime of prescription drugs, medical attention, and special care. If you believe that your child has suffered a birth injury in Orlando, or anywhere in Florida, please contact the Florida birth injury lawyers at Colling Gilbert Wright & Carter. We will evaluate your birth injury claim for free, and represent you on a contingent fee basis, which means you don’t have to pay any attorney fees until you recover on your claim. We’ll fight to ensure that your child and your family are fully compensated.