Questions about Deceptive and Unfair Business Practices

Representing Orlando, the Four Corners, Tampa and Nearby Areas of Florida

The Florida business litigation attorneys at Colling Gilbert Wright & Carter are dedicated to fighting for victims of deceptive and unfair business practices. Consumers are protected under certain federal and state laws that allow them to seek damages when they fall prey to wrongful business practices. Please call (855) 880-4741 for your free case evaluation if you have suffered due to suspected business misconduct.

Following are the answers to some commonly asked questions about deceptive and unfair business practices.

Who may sue as a “consumer” under Florida’s Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act?

Almost anyone who is the victim of an unfair or deceptive business practice in Florida may pursue a lawsuit. Florida law defines a consumer as “an individual; child, by and through its parent or legal guardian; business; firm; association; joint venture; partnership; estate; trust; business trust; syndicate; fiduciary; corporation; any commercial entity, however denominated; or any other group or combination.”

Do I have to prove that a business intentionally deceived or misled me?

No. Under Florida’s Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act (FDUTPA), a business owner does not have to intentionally deceive consumers in order to be found guilty of unfair business practices. Conduct that is deemed unfair is illegal regardless of whether there was an intent to mislead consumers. This distinction is made to encourage accountability among business owners.

What damages may be recovered in a deceptive or unfair business practice case?

Damages in wrongful business practice lawsuits vary depending on the circumstances of the case but may include:

  • Actual damages
  • Attorneys’ fees and court costs
  • Declaratory judgments and injunctive relief

Additionally, the FDUTPA allows that the state may take further action against a business in violation of the act on behalf of one or more consumers.

What should I do if I believe I am a victim of an unfair or deceptive business practice?

You should document and gather any information you have regarding the matter, then contact the experienced attorneys at Colling Gilbert Wright and Carter as soon as possible. We offer potential clients a free case review, and we welcome consumers from the greater Orlando area and throughout Florida. Please fill out the form on this page or call (855) 880-4741 to begin building your claim.