Blood thinners are widely used in America. Many men and women depend on these anticoagulant medications to help them lower their chances of stroke and blood clots, but sometimes, pharmaceutical drugs can cause you more harm than good. Xarelto was FDA-approved in 2011 as a new blood thinner, but emerging dangerous drug lawsuits allege that Xarelto increases a user’s risk of uncontrollable bleeding, also referred to as hemorrhaging. Unlike other blood thinners, this new generation does not have an antidote for medical professionals to use in an emergency, causing minor injuries to potentially become fatal.
If you or a loved one has taken Xarelto or its generic form, Rivaroxaban, and subsequently suffered uncontrollable hemorrhaging, please contact our personal injury lawyers in Orlando at (407) 712-7300 to discuss your dangerous drug claim. Colling Gilbert Wright & Carter serve clients throughout Florida and nationwide.
The FDA became involved with Xarelto again in 2013 when they sent the makers of Xarelto a warning letter about a misleading print advertisement which abated the risks while emphasizing the benefits of Xarelto. The FDA also made note of the bleeding complications, which are the most common side effects and should be properly addressed in all marketing efforts.
Apart from uncontrollable bleeding, other severe symptoms allegedly linked to using Xarelto include:
- Intracranial hemorrhaging
- Retinal hemorrhages (eye-bleeding)
- Epidural hematoma
- Pulmonary embolism
- Hemoglobin decrease
- Gastrointestinal hemorrhages
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Adrenal bleeding
- Stomach bleeding
- Wound infections
- Failure to effectively stop dangerous blood clots
- Wrongful Death
Xarelto Dangerous and Defective Drug Claims
There have been numerous lawsuits filed against the companies responsible for making Xarelto, Janssen (whose parent company is Johnson & Johnson) and Bayer AG. The current claims allege:
- Xarelto is connected to severe and/or fatal hemorrhaging, which can happen from even the most minor of cuts.
- The drug’s marketing led it to be seen as safer than it actually was, especially as there is no antidote to Xarelto like previous blood thinners, making it more dangerous than other anticoagulants on the market. Additionally, increased rates of gastrointestinal tract bleeding and transfusions were seen in studies with Xarelto versus other competitor drugs.
- Patients and physicians were not made aware of the fact that Xarelto had no antidote to stop any uncontrolled hemorrhaging that may occur.
- Medical professionals were not notified of any methods to treat patients using Xarelto in an emergency involving excessive bleeding.
Potential Compensation for a Xarelto Side Effects Claim
When you seek medical treatment to reduce your risk of stroke or blood clots, you expect transparency in the marketing efforts and list of side effects of a pharmaceutical drug. Our lawyers have seen firsthand how devastating severe injuries or death are for you and your loved ones, and we’re prepared to fight for you.
If you or a loved one has taken Xarelto and experienced any of the symptoms or situations listed above, you may be eligible to recover compensation for:
- Past, present and future medical expenses
- Permanent disability or injury
- Lost wages
- Loss of income
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death
Why Choose Our Lawyers for Your Dangerous Drug Claim?
At Colling Gilbert Wright & Carter, our lawyers have decades of experience in personal injury matters such as dangerous and defective medical devices or medications. We know how to aggressively pursue your claim and have helped many clients find justice and compensation for their injuries and pain and suffering.
If you or someone you know has taken Xarelto and experienced adverse effects, please call our lawyers in Orlando immediately at (407) 712-7300 to schedule your FREE consultation. We provide personal injury legal services to clients throughout Florida and nationwide.