Bicyclists are a common sight in Florida due to our warm temperatures, scenic views, and coastal bicycle routes. However, when cyclists take to the open road, there is always a chance of being involved in a collision with a car. Car versus bike accidents happen more often than you think. Many people see cyclists as more of an annoyance than another motorist, but it’s crucial that drivers and cyclists respect each other and obey the rules of the road to avoid accidents that result in serious personal injury or wrongful death.
Our bike accident attorneys at Colling Gilbert Wright & Carter in Orlando have handled countless motor vehicle and bike accident cases for those who were injured due to someone else’s negligence. Most of these collisions occur due to driver error, and we can answer your bicycle accident questions.
If you’ve been injured, contact us for a FREE consultation at (407) 712-7300 today.
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
Bicycle accidents often result in serious injury because cyclists have very little protecting them from the hard surface of the road or the unforgiving metal protecting drivers of passenger vehicles. If a cyclist is not killed in a bike versus car accident (which is sadly often the case), they usually experience one or more of these common bike accident injuries:
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Broken Bones
- Severe Lacerations
- Facial and Dental Injuries
Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Orlando, Florida
Bicycling has become increasingly popular in Florida, especially in tourist areas such as Orlando. Sightseeing via bicycle is a great activity, and there is a constant rise in the number of cyclists on our state’s roadways. Bicycle riders are required to obey traffic laws, and one of the largest causes of bicycle accidents is inattentive drivers who fail to watch for cyclists.
Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents in Orlando include:
- Dangerous passing: If a driver does not give a cyclist enough space while passing, the cyclist can be forced off the road or struck with the car or car’s side-view mirror.
- Dangerous turning and failure to yield: A bicyclist who has right-of-way should be given ample room and time to turn at intersections.
- Disregard of bike paths: If a driver fails to respect a bike path, dangerous collisions happen.
- Opening of car doors in the streets: A person who has just parked often swings the car door open without looking first. The car door can hit a cyclist and knock him or her off the bike, causing a number of serious injuries and lacerations.
- Drinking and driving: Driving while under the influence of alcohol is dangerous for everyone on the road and sidewalks including cyclists and pedestrians who are the most vulnerable in drunk driving accidents.
- Ignoring a stop sign or stop light: Distracted driving or careless driving may cause motor vehicle drivers to miss or ignore a stop sign or light, which can cause serious personal injury to pedestrians and bicyclists.
Another cause of a bike accident is obstacles left in riding areas by careless property owners, business owners, or property managers. While many obstacles are avoidable by older cyclists, children and less experienced bicyclists are injured each year after colliding with obstructions.
How Our Bike Accident Lawyers in Orlando Can Help
Our attorneys represent injured victims in all forms of auto accidents on a contingency-fee basis, which means you don’t pay any legal fees unless we recover compensation for your bicycle accident claim. We will investigate all the circumstances of the crash and determine which party is liable for you or your loved one’s injuries, including the:
- Vehicle driver
- Property owner or manager
- Bicycle manufacturer
- Vehicle manufacturer
If you or a loved one has been involved in a bicycle accident in Orlando or anywhere in Florida, contact Colling Gilbert Wright & Carter to schedule your FREE initial consultation by calling (407) 712-7300. We serve injured clients nationwide.