Back-to- School Pedestrian Safety
With back-to-school season in full effect, there is more to think about then just passenger safety. With the start of school we see an increase in foot traffic and biking as well. Being mindful of pedestrians can help prevent serious, sometimes fatal injuries. If a vehicle has hit you or a loved one in Florida, contact the experienced pedestrian accident attorneys at Colling Gilbert Wright by calling (407) 712-7300 for a free case evaluation.
Pedestrian accidents can be a tragic event for a family, most frequently involving a child or an elderly individual. Teaching and practicing the following will help in keeping your loved ones safe:
- Always use designated crosswalks.
- Wait for the school buses to make a complete stop before approaching.
- Look in all directions prior to crossing any street, even if the walk signal is lit.
As a driver, you can follow these safe driving tips to help in keeping our children safe:
- Never pass a school bus that is stopped to load or unload children. The bus will notify drivers by turning on flashing red lights and extending a stop sign. If you are on an undivided road, you must stop regardless of the direction in which you are driving.
- Be aware and look for children that may be walking behind your car or crossing in front.
- Don’t speed, especially when in neighborhoods or school zones.
Injuries sustained in pedestrian accidents are often time severe or life-threatening depending on how fast a vehicle was going. If you or a loved one has been hit by a vehicle in the state of Florida you may be due compensation. To schedule a free case review with one of our experienced pedestrian accident attorneys, contact Colling Gilbert Wright at (407) 712-7300 today!