Gratitude In The New Year
As the year comes to a close, there’s one word that seems especially appropriate: gratitude. It’s a simple word that means “the quality or feeling of being grateful or thankful.” And it’s a great time to consider what gives you gratitude – and carry it into 2014.
For each of us, this will be different, yet in many ways what gives us a sense of peace and gratitude is what unites us all. Things like family, friends, health and happiness. We find gratitude in big things like connecting more deeply with friends; finding a sense of accomplishment at work; and seeing healthy choices pay off. And we find it in everyday moments like a cup of coffee and good conversation with a friend, or a long walk under the most perfect sunset.
We can all embrace the spirit of the holiday season and take a moment to consider examples of gratitude in our own lives. Here are a few that might ring true in your life:
1. Happy, healthy children who make me laugh every day.
2. Interesting, supportive friends who inspire me to follow my passions.
3. Trees and trails that help me connect with nature – and reconnect with myself.
4. Work that continues to challenge me.
5. Family members who, no matter what, will be there for me.
We encourage you to make you own list, hang it on the wall and refer to it each day of 2014. May you enjoy a safe and happy new year – full of gratitude.